Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Manager Belgium and Netherlands
BOORTMALT is the world leader malting company with 3 million tonnes production capacity. The group is present on 5 continents with 27 malting plants. Boortmalt's expertise is widely acknowledged by brewers and distillers who rely on the supply of top quality barley malt.The Boortmalt Group is a fully owned subsidiary of the agricultural and agribusiness cooperative Axereal. Our relationship with Axereal, Europe's largest grain cooperative, ensures us access to high quality barley year round.
Boortmalt’s ambition is to become “Masters of Malt” therefore, Health & Safety is one of our core business fundamentals. Safe working is an integral part of how we plan, organize and undertake our business activities and operations. We believe that TOGETHER Boortmalt can become one of the safest places to work.
As HSE Manager for Belgium and The Netherlands, you will be based at Boortmalt's headquarters in Antwerp and report to the Managing Director of continental Europe (straight line) and the Group SHE manager (dotted line). From Antwerp, the biggest malting plant in the world, you will provide regular support on SHE matters for other Boortmalt plants and facilities located in Antwerp, Herent, Gembloux and Swalmen.
In this role, you will be the responsible person for:
- Create and execute the SHE strategy in alignment with Group SHE strategy and local applicable legislation and ensure proper implementation thereof in the different sites in BENE (this includes the joint venture ATO).
- Drive year on year improvement of SHE support in BENE, on all levels and in all business areas (operations, support functions, ...)
- Harmonisation of the SHE program across the BENE sites. This includes the draft, implementation and follow up of a risk analysis/ risk management system and action plan.
- Conduct and coordinate safety audits on all sites and collaborate with the respective plant managers to create an action plan and a governance plan to follow up.
- Ensure that all the plants always operate in accordance with established Group SHE standards and local regulations; Monitor and drive implementation of corrective actions arising from SHE activities including risk assessments, accident investigations and near miss reports.
- Advise management on the SHE regulations in Belgium and the NL and inform on legislative changes. Working with the Managers ensuring that Good Practices in health & safety are shared, adopted and regularly reviewed; liaise with location management to ensure alignment with SHE strategy and regulatory requirements.
- Advisory and sensibilization on the use of PPEs (Personal Protective Equipment) in line with the Group SHE Standard.
- Help to integrate safety into the operating day to day routine for the business via tools, processes and training; manage the planning and completion of SHE related training.
- Proactively drive SHE improvement projects across BENE.
- Be the leader and direct point of contact for SHE related topics for BENE employees. Be the leader of Boortmalt's GDPBW in Belgium.
- Act as the first point of contact for labour accidents and the follow up thereof, provide the proper reporting and look for improvements to avoid them in the future (root cause analysis, contacts with the authorities, safety trainings etc).
- Responsible for the SHE reporting related to BENE sites (legal + internal) and the follow up of the required trainings and/or certificates for all employees and operational equipment in the BENE region.
- Contractor and supplier selection and management.
- Execute safety rounds and Gemba walks, follow-up of specific activities (shut-down, etc…).
- Coordinate the environmental actions to be taken - follow up the legal requirements and ensure that all plants are operating in a compliant way. Act as a main point of contact for environmental topics with higher management and with government institutions after alignment with Managing Director Continental Europe.
- Generation of monthly reports on KPI figures and completion of reports to enforcing bodies.
- Maintenance of the legal register to help ensure that measures are in place to meet all legal compliance obligations relating to health, safety and environmental legislation.
- Perform safety checks on the work floor: permits, procedures, etc.
- Ensure the compliance with critical inspections. For instance, lifting and hoisting equipment, elevators and industrial vehicles.
- Act as an ISPS officer for the Antwerp site.
- Work on a full security plan for Antwerp and other plants in order to ensure legal compliance on the security point of view.
Master we are looking for ? Master recherché
- Master's degree or equivalent in experience
- Qualified Prevention Advisor Level 1 in Belgium, or open to follow the course (Minimum level 2 is required)
- Certified PFSO/ISPS Officer
- Minimum 5 years of experience as Safety manager or in a similar position
- Experience in manufacturing environment, preferable in the food/beverage industry
- Experience and understanding of safety and environmental standards (ISO45001and ISO 14001)
- Strong communication skills adaptable to the audience involved
- Able to demonstrate direct influence on safety processes and safety culture
- Fluent in Dutch and English, French is a plus
- Comfortable explaining safety and environmental legislation in a clear and understandable way.
Masters of Malt's treasure Trésor des Masters of Malt
We offer an attractive salary and benefits package and as part of a global organization can offer career opportunities internationally. As Masters of Malt we want to be a great employer, focusing on flexibility, inclusion, collaboration and health and wellbeing. We live our values, putting people at the heart of what we do.
“Strive” - our ambition is to be the best maltster that's why every day we commit to challenge ourselves to achieve the highest level.
“Care” - our strength is magnificent when we care for our earth, our colleagues and our business partners. We encourage trust, respect and treat each other with respect. We believe that Diversity makes us stronger.
“Inspire” - We adopt a long-term orientation delivering sustainable performance through innovation and digitization, becoming praised Masters of Malt.
“Explore” – thinking out of the box and embracing pioneer ideas to become a source of motivation, we like challenging the status quo to develop full potential.