Because malt production requires a substantial amount of drinking quality water, all of our facilities have been equipped with water purification systems. Whereas traditional malting required more than 5 cubic meters of water to produce a single ton of malt, and although limited to 4 cubic meters per ton, Boortmalt currently produces a ton of malt with less than 3 cubic meters of water.
We strive to make more malt with less water and continue to invest in technology such as the Membrane Bioreactor at our Antwerp facility. Our challenge is to further reduce our water consumption by changing effluent water into drinking quality water to be used again for malt production. It is a challenge that we welcome for our business, community and the environment.
- Subsidiary of Axereal, the largest French grain cooperative
- 5th largest producer of Malt in the World and the 2nd in Europe
- Annual sales of 1.1 million tonnes
- 10 production facilities throughout Europe with 385 employees
- Responsibility - Member of SAI
- GMS - consultancy specialising in supply chain and infrastructure projects particularly in developing markets
- Globally respected Malting Course