Malt production and logistics in the heart of Europe
The Boortmalt Group is a fully owned subsidiary of the agricultural and agribusiness cooperative Axereal. Our relationship with Axereal, Europe’s largest grain cooperative, ensures us access to high quality barley year round.
Our European network of malting plants spread throughout six countries produces a total of 1.1 million tons of malt per year, making Boortmalt the 5th largest malt producer in the world and No.2 in Europe.
Malt Consultancy: Global Malting Services (GMS)
The malt industry is a complex one which requires solid logistics, fluid adaptation, an understanding of products and buyers in an international context. With many years of international experience, GMS provides a priceless competitive advantage.
GMS is focussed on the development of integrated agri-supply chain solutions ‘from field to final customer product’, this is achieved by providing consultancy services to our customers, food processing industries and administrative bodies.
With expertise in constructing new plants, upgrading existing facilities, creating structured supply chains and extending logistical reach GMS offers optimised solutions to ensure that malt production can meet the needs of any local market by developing and increasing production capability and improving malt quality.
Malt logistics: Sobelgra and Samga
Approximately fifty percent of the total European malt export passes through our Port of Antwerp silos Sobelgra and Samga – making Antwerp, today more than ever, the malt capital of Europe, and Boortmalt its logistic heart.
- Subsidiary of Axereal, the largest French grain cooperative
- 5th largest producer of Malt in the World and the 2nd in Europe
- Annual sales of 1.1 million tonnes
- 10 production facilities throughout Europe with 385 employees
- Responsibility - Member of SAI
- GMS - consultancy specialising in supply chain and infrastructure projects particularly in developing markets
- Globally respected Malting Course